Longnor School is a Primary school with four classes, serving a wide, predominantly rural, catchment area, between Shrewsbury and Church Stretton.
The main school building has been in use since 1957. In 1998, the school received a new Hall in recognition of its need for additional dining, assembly, music and movement space. A fourth classroom followed in 1999 as the school moved to four-teacher status. Other building developments have included: an extension to this classroom, a Library/Independent Learning Area and improved Staffroom, Office and Secure Reception Area facilities.
In 2014 we added a double demountable classroom which is now a base for our Little Owls Nursery and a study area. The study area is used for the before and after school club, independent and group learning, cooking, art, music tuition, SAT booster classes and meetings. By moving a class out of the main building we have been able to extend the hall which is now big enough for indoor sport.
There are also extensive grounds, which have been developed by the children and include: a Pond and Dipping Platform, Children’s Garden, Sensory Garden, Forest School Area, Adventure Playground (including Climbing Wall), Secure (all-weather) Play Area, Veranda, Outdoor Classroom and Tepee. The school is well equipped, with new furniture throughout. There is a 4:1 pupil to computer ratio and an Interactive Whiteboard facility in each classroom.
The school has now had four successful OFSTED inspections – the most recent in 2011 describing the school as Outstanding. These findings have been echoed in four very positive Anglican Church inspection reports and are also supported by the L.A.